Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, May 25, 2012

Roadtrip Ready: Altoids Souvenir Tin

Souvenirs are a big part of any trip...but they can get expensive. That is especially true if you are on a roadtrip with stops at a lot of different places. Plus if you anything like me, your vehicle {and/or camper} is probably already packed pretty tight, so there isn't a lot of space for a bunch of big souvenirs. I saw this idea for Mint Tins Collection {the blog post has quite a few ideas for using Altoids tins, but this was by far by favorite} a few months ago, and I decided it would be the perfect way for my boys to take a little bit of each place home with us...without breaking the bank or overloading the car:)
I started with a couple empty Altoids tins, some white cardstock, and a variety of letter stickers.
Simple turn your tin upside down on a piece of cardstock and trace around the lid. Cut it out and hot glue it onto the lid of your tin.
Then use your stickers to decorate the lid. I chose to just use letters and spell out the places we are visiting on our trip, but any fun stickers would work. Maps, brochures, and postcards would also be great to use for covering the lid of your Altoids tin.
When you are on your roadtrip, simple collect small things that fit into your tin and will remind you of your trip. You can also add a piece of paper with the date of you visit along with any other information you may want to remember. Pictures from each of your stops would also be a really fun addition {I'm thinking some great Instagram shots would be perfect in these}! There are a million and one ways that you can personalize these for your vacation, the main idea here is to take a small memento from each place without spend a ton of money or taking up value leg room in the car:)
Does your family collect anything special when you are on a roadtrip?
Pin It!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another easy craft I can do:) I have made many things out of Altoid tins!

Trish said...

We collect magnets and Christmas tree ornaments on trips. I love that both are small and don't add clutter to my house.
It is a lot of fun to put the special ornaments on the tree each year and remember our trips.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Such a fun and cute idea!! Right now, Target's Dollar Spot has some small Hello Kitty tins that would fit this bill. They are a bit larger than an altoid tin, but still perfect. I bought one to put my business cards in for Haven. :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That's a great idea! I bet the boys will love them!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

What a wonderful idea!!! LOVE THIS!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...